Monday, September 26, 2011

MCWB newcomers answer what it is like to be a freshman at Monmouth College in the fall of 2011!

MCWB newcomers answer what it is like to be a freshman at Monmouth College in the fall of 2011! Going away to college can be nerve wracking, intimidating, but it can also be a TON of fun! MCWB freshmen tell of their transition to college life.

Kathleen Forrest (Deerfield HS) says her favorite class would have to be her Introduction to Liberal Arts (ILA) because “our class is a very close-knit group. It is like spending an hour with friends discussing philosophical topics that relate to our lives”. Jessica Howard (Galesburg HS) also enjoys her ILA class because “everyone participates and we all get along. Also my professor is cool”. College courses can also be inspiring. Tiffany Churchill (South Fulton HS) says her favorite course this semester “would have to by my 8:00am Spanish101 class. My professor Barbaro-Mandrano really makes the class enjoyable for her students. She is full of animation and never loses my attention even if it is early in the morning”.

We have very lofty goals this basketball season. Our incoming players quickly realize what a commitment it is get ourselves ready to compete at our highest level. Basketball season officially begins October 15th. Tiffany Churchill (South Fulton HS) knows she is getting in really good shape by weight lifting and conditioning with our strength & conditioning coach. The ladies meet with Coach Woodard five days a week (3 lifting, 2 fitness). Coach Woodard is in the weight room multiple hours a day and the ladies workout with him during open times in their academic schedule.

Moving into dormitory life with new people could be a challenge….however, most incoming freshmen find they had nothing to worry about and living in a dorm can be amazing! Paige Nord (Ridgeview HS) says “it is a very friendly atmosphere”. She tells the story of her roommate “waking up in the middle of the night sleep talking. She was yelling at me ‘where’s the fan?! (we don’t have a fan)”. Alyssa Riley (Warrensburg HS) agrees saying that dorm life can be a lot of fun. “I get along well with my roommate, and our floor has had a game night in order for us to meet people. One fun story would have to be when our room fan almost fell out of the window! It is now successfully duck taped to the window”.

As always, a big question remains…what’s the food like? Tiffany comments that the food here at Monmouth College is good. She says “they have a large variety of just about anything. My favorite so far is the pasta. They cook it right in front of me and I personally get to choose the ingredients they put in it”. Paige expands “it is nice to have choices outside the regular cafeteria”. Her favorite is the blueberry muffins from Einstein’s Bagels. Jessica thinks the best food on campus is Ben and Jerry’s Ice Cream…hard to disagree with that! Yum!

Finally, the ladies weigh in on why they chose Monmouth College.

Tiffany: I chose Monmouth College because it truly was the only place I could see myself calling home for the next four years of my life.

Kathleen: I chose Monmouth after visiting my sister who goes here several times, it just felt like home. I also like the concentrated campus, the furthest walk is like 7 minutes. I like the small class sizes and the friendliness of the people here.

Paige: It is a small campus with good academics.

Jessica: I chose Monmouth because I wanted to receive a good education and also play basketball. Also, the campus is beautiful.

Alyssa: I chose Monmouth College because it is a smaller school. I wanted to be a name to my professors rather than a number. I also thought the campus was really pretty and had a very “homie” feeling to it. All of the people on campus were extremely friendly each time I came to visit. I also chose this college because I really like the basketball coach and my future teammates.

No comments: