Friday, September 30, 2011

Juniors Reflect On Their Journey

1. What is something unique about your hometown/favorite thing to do there?
Colleen Forrest: Some things unique about my hometown (Deerfield, IL) are that the village hall and town square are named after my grandfather. My favorite thing to do in my hometown is to go to the beach with my friends.

Kim Coleman: I am from Chicago; the best city ever, what makes Chicago unique is the people, the educational and job opportunities it has to offer and the neat tourist spots such as Navy Pier, Millennium Park, or events like the taste of Chicago. My favorite thing to do is eat, followed by a nice North Avenue Beach run.

2. Who got you into playing basketball?
Colleen: I think it was a combination of watching the Chicago Bulls and my grandfather. My parents have been Bulls fans from as long as I can remember. I used to sit in front of the TV, cheering for “Blue Jay” because I could not say B.J. (as in B.J. Armstrong). Growing up watching the Championship Bulls definitely inspired me to play. Also, around the same time, my grandfather got me my first playskool basketball and hoop, which I used to play with all the time.

Chelsea Gross: my dad

Kim: Basketball has been in my blood, both of my parents played basketball, my mother played on the collegiate level. Both of them encourage me to play at a young age and I began to fall in love with it from there.

3. What on the court activities (basketball drills, strength and conditioning, etc.) make us successful?
Chelsea; Our shooting drills that require us to work as a team or in groups. Drills that demonstrate what we will be experiencing in games. Long and hard repetitions that help us prepare for our “40 minutes of hell.”

Colleen: As much as I don’t enjoy it, I would have to say that our strength and conditioning make us most successful, especially since we are rarely the tallest team on the court. We are able to combat the lack of height with our athleticism, speed, and endurance.

4. What are some of your favorite off the court activities you hope we continue in the future?
Chelsea: Team golf outing, gingerbread house building, team dinners at coach’s house, team Christmas bonding.

Colleen: Some of my favorite activities off the court would have to be the team golf outing, the high ropes coarse, and team movies.

5. What motto do you try to live by?
Colleen: “Pray not for lighter burdens, but for stronger backs.” –Theodore Roosevelt

Chelsea: “What doesn’t kill you can only make you stronger”

6. Who is/was your most influential teacher or professor? Why?
Chelsea: Bob Foster. He is an upbeat inspirational person who I look to for advice and guidance in my academics and in the training room.

Colleen: I would have to say my 7th grade social studies professor, Mrs. Meyers. Not only did she teach me how to be a better student, but she taught me to be proud of what I know. It was her love and passion for history and knowledge that influenced me to pursue history as my major.

No comments: