Monday, September 6, 2010

MCWB newcomers answer what it is like to be a freshman at Monmouth College in the fall of 2010!

Going away to college can be nerve wracking, intimidating, but it can also be a TON of fun! MCWB freshmen tell of their transition to college life.

Emily Ragsdale (Ottawa HS) says her favorite class would have to be Education 101. She likes it because it is a “big class and they have discussions on different laws of education and the role that teacher's play in a student's life." College courses can also be inspiring. Taylor Rubarts (Paxon-Buckley-Loda HS) likes Communications and “might even minor in it” because it is so enjoyable.

We have very lofty goals this basketball season. Our incoming players quickly realize what a commitment it is get ourselves ready to compete at our highest level. Basketball season officially begins October 15th. Marla Willard (Pittsfield HS) knows she is getting in really good shape by weight lifting and conditioning with our strength & conditioning coach. The ladies meet with Coach Woodard five days a week (3 lifting, 2 fitness). Coach Woodard is in the weight room multiple hours a day and the ladies workout with him during open times in their academic schedule. Besides working out with Coach Woodard, our senior captain Justine Boone (Geneseo HS) leads the team in shooting and open gyms twice a week. Kaley Corbin (Prairie Central HS) explains… “we have team bonding through shoot-arounds and scrimmages. Scrimmages are a great way to interact with the team and get a feel of how each player plays on the court. It is great to see how much dedication each player brings to the team.”

Of course college is about great memories made off the court as well! Emily says “the most memorable thing for me so far is just hanging out with new friends and making new memories with them. When you come to college you basically start all over and make new friends and it has been a really fun experience.” Kaley Corban agrees saying, “some of the most memorable activities I’ve done at Monmouth College would have to be movie nights and pizza with players on the basketball team because we recite lines from movies and share embarrassing stories. Another thing I enjoy doing at MC is participating in events that are sponsored for students on weekends. The other night there was a movie on the quad, video games, and free pizza. It was just a chance to meet new people and have fun while doing it!”

Moving into dormitory life with new people could be a challenge….however, most incoming freshmen find they had nothing to worry about and living in a dorm can be amazing! Taylor indicated, “living in a dorm really isn’t as bad as I thought it would be! It's like having a whole floor of sisters, lots of fun! One night we were having a study night and my roommate Kaley, my RA Sam, and myself went running in the rain to the Scots Market for some study snacks, got soaked from the rain, great memory!” Marla completely agrees. “Living in a dorm is amazing! There is never a dull moment on the best floor ever. We are all great friends! Something hilarious happens every night.”

As always, a big question remains…what’s the food like? Marla comments that the food here at Monmouth College is pretty good. Some of her favorites include the roast beef, baked potatoes and fried ravioli. Kaley does a great job explaining the meal options at MC. “Every day the cafeteria has something different for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. Also, if you get tired of the cafeteria food, there is always an alternative. In the basement of Stockdale is a Ben and Jerry’s, along with a sandwich and Chinese food! There are many options, but I’d have to say that cereal is my favorite breakfast food. My favorite lunch food would have to be chicken patty with mashed potatoes and gravy. Dinner with me is whatever floats my boat. Usually I’ll go with pasta. Also, unlimited bananas are the best part about the cafeteria!”

Finally, the ladies weigh in on why they chose Monmouth College.

Kaley: I choose Monmouth College because I wanted to go to a private four-year college. I wanted to be known as a person, not just an ID number. This gives me a chance to really get to know my professors if I ever have a question to ask. Also, the basketball team made a huge impact on my choice. I did three MC visits my senior year. Each time I visited the campus, I developed a closer bond between my teammates. In a way, I guess you could say it felt like home.

Taylor: I chose Monmouth because we have an amazing campus, I felt very comfortable here, basketball, and the education program is very strong here!

Marla: I picked Monmouth College because it offered everything I need, it has a beautiful campus, it’s not too big, and it felt like home.

Emily: The reason why I picked Monmouth College was it had a good education program and that's what I am majoring in. But not only that, I also love the basketball team and felt really connected with them when I came for a visit last spring, so I knew it was the right fit for me!

No comments: