Monday, August 16, 2010

MC's new mascot Big Red interviews Justine Boone


Big Red's interview of Justine Boone on her summer internship with the minor league baseball team the Quad City River Bandits
Big Red: What is your major/year are you at Monmouth College?
Justine Boone: I am entering my senior year at MC and I am double majoring in Business and Economics.

Big Red: What is your summer internship?
Justine Boone: I am currently interning with the Quad City River Bandits. The River Bandits are a minor league baseball team who are the single A affiliates of the St. Louis Cardinals.

Big Red: How did you learn about this internship?
Justine Boone: I first heard of this internship in one of my business classes at MC. Later, Wackerle Career Center advertised a networking night on campus. I took a night off from baskeball to attend the meeting where I met with the River Bandits representatives. Later, I was called back for a formal interview.


Big Red: Why did you take this internship?
Justine Boone: Sports have always been a huge part of my life and I wanted to see if I enjoyed working with a professional team as much as I enjoy participating in athletics. I figured that an internship was a great way to determine this, and also to get my foot into the door if I do want to continue working in the sports industry.


Big Red: Your primary job duties/responsibilities are?
Justine Boone: I am part of the Street Team and, among other things, I deal with game day promotions and community appearances.


Big Red: What is the best part of your internship?
Justine Boone: I think the best part of my internship is that I have been exposed to many different things. For instance, I have learned a lot about sponsorships that go along with professional sports. On a different note, I have also been able to learn some things about wedding planning and other event planning that I didn't expect to learn with this job. (We have Suites and reception areas in Modern Woodman Park). I enjoy working in a fun/entertaining environment and it is an added bonus that I get to meet all of the celebrities and guests that we host on different promotional nights.


Big Red: What is the most challenging part of your internship?
Justine Boone: I don't necessarily find my internship challenging in many ways. However, some days we are at the stadium for long hours and it's difficult to stay excited and enthusiastic when the game goes into extra innings when all you want to do is go home.


Big Red: What is one thing your team/teammates/coaches at Monmouth College taught you that helped you with your internship?
Justine Boone: Working well with others. I've noticed that some people really struggle to take advice from other people or to stay postive when they aren't having the best day. However, entering my fourth year into the MCWB program, I feel I have been accustomed to working well with others and getting through every obstacle with my team/co-workers in mind.

Big Red: What's one thing you've learned that you are taking back to your team/teammates/coaches at Monmouth College?
Justine Boone: One important thing that I have learned with this internship is to take more initiative in everything that I do. I'm more confident in contributing ideas and taking control of situations. I look forward to being a strong leader on the team and I really look forward to our future success as a team!

Big Red: How is this internship going to prepare you for your future?
Justine Boone: I have always had many different career options in my mind. Working with a professional sports team has always been one of them. However, I have now found out that I do not wish to work in baseball. Not because I didn't enjoy it, only because I have found that it is not the best fit for me. I am lucky to have had this experience and it has been positive. It has also been a learning experience and helped me narrow down what it is that I want to do in life. I encourage everyone to take an internship for this very reason.

No comments: