Monday, January 10, 2011

Where Are They Now? ...Ashley (Yeast) Tanney


MCWB: Give us some updates! Where are you living, any recent life accomplishments?
AY (you'll always be AY to us!!): Currently, I reside in Davenport, IA with my husband, Mitch Tanney. Besides my recent travels around the world, current life accomplishments include the following: getting married, becoming a god-mother of twins, and completing two 26.2 mile marathons in a six month period. Upon graduation from Monmouth College, I continued working for Deere & Company in the Quad Cities. This past summer I took a new position as an Internal Auditor with Deere & Company. This position has enabled me to travel around the world and investigate various accounting cycles and business practices within Deere’s operations. Currently, I am writing my response from Milan, Italy. A month ago I was in Lima, Peru and before that I spent several months in Tampa, Florida, Lenexa, Kansas and Raleigh, North Carolina. In addition, I am a little over halfway through my MBA program with the University of Iowa. I hope to graduate next year.

MCWB: How has a Monmouth College degree helped your career pursuits?
AY: My degree from Monmouth College has helped my career pursuits by providing me with a sound education and skill set, which can be used in any professional or personal setting. The liberal arts background I received has enabled me to adapt or relate to many different situations. For example, while traveling with audit staff, I am teamed with many diverse individuals from different cultures who speak different languages. They also have unique ways of thinking and problem solving. In other words, there is never a shortage of cultural diversity among the group. Having a liberal arts background has enabled me to connect and create meaningful relationships with such individuals. Finally, a Monmouth College degree has also guided me to challenge myself personally and professionally.

MCWB: Favorite on or off the court basketball memory?
AY: The one basketball memory that stands out the best was pulling down my 1,000 career rebound against Lake Forest. I did not realize at the time that it was my 1,000 rebound until it was announced over the PA system. My family was in attendance and the Lake Forest coach presented me with the game ball at the end of the game. It was a feeling of accomplishment unlike anything I had felt before. I wasn’t focused on the number of rebounds I collected; I was solely focused on blocking out my opponent. Realizing after the game that my parents were tracking my rebounds to capture the exact moment on camera was a humbling experience. Seeing the smile on my parents’ faces is something I’ll never forget. My parents supported me every step of the way through my athletic career. I knew that day I had made them proud.
MCWB: What do you miss most about playing basketball at Monmouth College?
AY: What I miss most about playing basketball at Monmouth College is wearing the jersey. The red and white jersey signifies the sweat and sacrifice made in order to properly prepare for the opponent and step onto the court the day of the game. The jersey is a unifying symbol of the College, the team, and everyone that supported us in the stands. Putting on my #33 meant that it was time to execute and show everyone in the gym (opponent, coaches, fans, family) how hard we had prepared for that day. The physical act of putting on the jersey may sound trivial because it lasted no more than a few seconds. However, I always appreciated that short moment in time, and I certainly miss it now.

No comments: